When it comes to Jon boats, an often overlooked but essential accessory is a reliable lighting system. The best Jon boat lights can make a significant difference to your night fishing or boating experience, offering enhanced visibility and safety. In this guide, we will explore some of the top Jon boat lights available in the market and discuss what to consider when choosing the right lighting for your needs.
Best Jon Boat Lights
The best Jon Boat lights depend on the type of boating you plan to do. For nighttime fishing, you’ll likely want a light that is bright enough to illuminate the area around your boat for safety, but not so bright that it will scare away the fish. A light that is both waterproof and corrosion-resistant is also a good choice for a Jon Boat. You may want to consider a light with adjustable brightness and a long-lasting battery so that you can stay out on the water as long as you’d like.
- Attwood 14190–7 Clamp-On LED Light: This model is a portable and durable choice. It clamps onto various parts of the boat, making it versatile and easy to use. It’s powered by AAA batteries, meaning you won’t need to worry about wiring.
- Shangyuan LED Marine Lights: These lights are known for their high brightness and low power consumption. They are suitable for a range of applications, from interior lighting to fishing lights.
- Seapon Pontoon Boat Light: This light strip is a popular choice for Jon boats due to its flexibility, durability, and waterproof capabilities. It’s a great option if you want to illuminate a larger area.
- Linkstyle 12v Marine LED Light: This product is a great fit for smaller boats due to its compact size. It’s easy to install and boasts high brightness, making it a reliable option.
- Partsam LED Strip Light: These are flexible, bright, and can be installed almost anywhere on your boat. They are waterproof and designed to work well in marine environments.
For general use, you may want to consider a light with a wide beam and a durable housing that can withstand the elements. LED lights are an excellent option for Jon Boats because they are energy efficient and offer a bright, long lasting light. You’ll also want to look for lights that provide a variety of mounting options so you can install them wherever it makes the most sense for your particular boat.
Types of Lights for Jon Boats
When it comes to lighting for Jon boats, there are a few different types to choose from. The most common types of lights are navigation lights, docking lights, and floodlights.
- Navigation Lights: These are essential for any boat used during periods of low light. They signal your boat’s size, angle of approach, and status to other vessels, preventing collisions.
- Spotlights: These are typically used for illuminating specific areas, such as when docking or identifying markers. They can be handheld or mounted.
- Deck Lights: Installed on the boat’s deck, these lights provide illumination for activities on the boat, such as fishing or moving around safely at night.
- Underwater Lights: Mostly used for fishing or aesthetic purposes, these are installed below the waterline and can attract marine life.
- Cabin Lights: These are interior lights designed to illuminate the boat’s cabin, making it comfortable and functional after dark.
- Docking Lights: Usually mounted on the bow, these lights help illuminate the dock area when you’re coming in for a landing after sunset.
- Fishing Lights: These specialized lights are used to attract fish during night fishing expeditions. They can be either floating or submersible.
Each type of light has a specific purpose, and the ones you need will depend on your intended use of the boat. Always remember to ensure any lights you install are designed for marine environments to withstand the moisture and corrosive conditions associated with boating.
Navigation lights are designed to make your boat visible to other boats and vessels on the water. They are usually red, green, and white and help other vessels identify where you are and where you are going. Navigation lights should be mounted on the bow, stern, and sides of the boat.
Sidelights are red and green lights that are mounted on the bow of the boat. They are used to indicate the direction that the boat is moving in.
Stern lights are white lights that are mounted on the stern of the boat. They are used to make your boat visible to other vessels from behind.
All-round lights are white lights that are mounted on the mast or top of the boat. They are used to make your boat visible to other vessels in all directions.
Docking lights are designed to illuminate the area around the boat when you are docking. They are usually bright white lights that are mounted on the bow and stern of the boat. They help you see where you are going and what is around you when you are maneuvering in tight spaces.
Deck lights are white lights that are mounted on the deck of the boat. They provide a wide-angle light that illuminates the area around the boat.
Spreader lights are bright white lights that are mounted on the mast or top of the boat. They provide a wide-angle light that illuminates the area around the boat.
Floodlights are designed to illuminate a large area. They are usually bright white lights that are mounted on the bow and stern of the boat. They are great for fishing or exploring in the evening or at night.
Underwater lights are white lights that are mounted underwater on the hull of the boat. They are great for illuminating the area around the boat and attracting fish.
Spotlights are bright white lights that are mounted on the mast or top of the boat. They are great for illuminating a large area and scanning the horizon.
How tall should the stern light be on a jon boat?
The height of the stern light on a jon boat should be at least 1 meter (3.3 feet) above the highest point of the boat, including any antenna or other apparatus. This will ensure that the light is visible from all directions and at sufficient distance for navigation purposes.
Ensure that the light is securely attached and properly maintained in order to remain visible and reliable. This includes regularly checking the bulb, wiring and mounting to make sure it is in good working condition.
Jon boat light setup
A Jon boat light setup typically includes a navigation light, such as a bow light, stern light, and anchor light, as well as an all-round white light for general lighting. Depending on the application, you may want to consider adding a searchlight or an underwater light. These lights should be mounted to the boat in a way that is safe and secure.
Consider the power source for your best jon boat lights. It is powered by an outboard motor, you may want to consider installing a power inverter, which will allow you to plug the lights into the boat’s electrical system. If the boat is not powered by an outboard motor, you may want to use a deep cycle battery, which will provide enough power to keep the lights running. If you plan to use the lights for extended periods of time, you may want to consider solar powered lights, which use energy from the sun to power the lights.
Choosing the Right Lights
When it comes to choosing the right lights for your Jon boat, there are a few things to consider. Decide what type of lights you need. Do you need navigation lights, docking lights, or floodlights? You also need to consider the wattage of the lights. You want to make sure that the lights are bright enough to be seen on the water. You need to consider how you will mount the lights. Will you be mounting the lights on the bow, stern, mast, or deck of the boat?
Where to Buy Lights for Jon Boats
Once you know what type of lights you need and how you will mount them, you can start looking for lights. There are many online retailers that sell lights for Jon boats. You can also find lights at your local marine supply store. Just make sure to do your research and read customer reviews before purchasing any lights.
There are numerous online retailers that specialize in marine equipment, including boat lights. Websites like Amazon, eBay, and others offer a vast selection of products, including navigation lights, spotlights, deck lights, underwater lights, cabin lights, docking lights, and fishing lights. Online shopping can give you access to a larger range of products and brands, sometimes at better prices due to higher competition.
Manufacturers’ websites are another good place to look, especially if you’re seeking a specific brand or model of boat light. They often provide detailed product descriptions, specifications, and reviews, which can be helpful in making an informed decision.
Don’t overlook forums and online communities for boaters. They can be a wealth of knowledge and can provide recommendations based on personal experience with certain products.
Maintenance and Safety
Once you have the right lights for your Jon boat, you need to make sure they are installed properly and maintained regularly. Make sure all lights are securely mounted and check them regularly for any damage. Also, make sure to check the wiring and connections to make sure they are working properly. Make sure the lights are turned on before you head out on the water.
Advantages of Using Lights on Jon Boats
The usage of lights on Jon boats provides numerous advantages, particularly for those who use their boats during periods of low visibility, like at night, during heavy fog or in other adverse weather conditions. Here are some key advantages:
- Enhanced Visibility: Proper lighting can dramatically enhance the visibility of your boat. Navigation lights help other boaters identify your position, direction, and status, making it easier for them to avoid you, reducing the risk of collisions.
- Safety: Using lights on your Jon boat is not only a practical matter but also a safety regulation enforced by maritime laws. Proper illumination helps to signal your presence to other boats, reducing the risk of accidents.
- Extended Usage: With appropriate lighting, you can comfortably use your Jon boat even after sundown, extending your fishing, cruising, or leisure trips.
- Improved Fishing: Certain types of lights, such as underwater or attractor lights, can enhance your fishing experience. These lights attract bugs and small baitfish, which in turn attract predator fish.
- Better Aesthetics: Apart from the functional benefits, lights can also add an aesthetic appeal to your boat, making it look more appealing and personalized.
- Increased Value: If you decide to sell your Jon boat in the future, having a well-lit boat can increase its market value. Prospective buyers might see the additional lighting as a beneficial feature.
Using lights on your Jon boat has many advantages. They make your boat more visible to other vessels on the water. This helps ensure everyone’s safety. You see better when you’re docking or maneuvering in tight spaces. They can help attract fish when you’re out fishing.
When you’re out on the water at night, the glare from the lights can be blinding. To reduce glare, make sure to point the lights away from your eyes and the eyes of other boaters. You can also buy lights with anti-glare or diffusion lenses to reduce the glare even further.
When it comes to lights for Jon boats, you want to make sure they have a long battery life. Make sure to look for lights that are energy efficient and have a long battery life. You also want to make sure the lights are easy to access and replace the batteries when needed.
When it comes to lights for Jon boats, you need to make sure they are waterproof. Make sure to look for lights that are rated for marine use and can withstand the elements.
Budget Friendly Lights
When it comes to lights for Jon boats, you don’t have to break the bank. There are many budget-friendly lights that are designed for marine use. Make sure to shop around and compare prices to find the best deal. You can also find used lights that are in good condition and are a fraction of the cost of new lights.
LED lights are a great option if you are looking for budget-friendly lights for your Jon boat. LED lights are energy efficient and have a long battery life. They are also brighter and more durable than traditional incandescent lights.
Solar lights are another great option if you are looking for budget-friendly lights for your Jon boat. Solar lights use the power of the sun to charge the batteries and provide light. They are easy to install and require little to no maintenance.
Battery-powered lights are a great option if you are looking for budget-friendly lights for your Jon boat. These lights are powered by rechargeable batteries and provide a bright light for a long period of time. They are also easy to install and require little to no maintenance.
You’ll typically need to install a red light on the port (left) side of your boat and a green light on the starboard (right) side. These should be visible from at least one mile away on a clear night. You’ll also need an all-round white light that should be visible from two miles away. This can be a lantern style light that can be temporarily mounted when needed.
Keep in mind the specific requirements might differ depending on your local maritime laws and the size of your boat. Always ensure you are compliant with these laws not only to avoid fines but also to ensure the safety of everyone on the water.
These lights are not designed to help the boat’s driver see in the dark, but rather to help others see your boat. Always be sure to carry a spotlight or flashlight on board in case you need to see something on the water or shore.
Jon boats are a great way to get out on the water and explore nature. But, to ensure everyone’s safety, you need to make sure you have the right lights. There are many different types of lights for Jon boats, including navigation lights, docking lights, and floodlights. When choosing the right lights for your Jon boat, make sure to consider what type of lights you need, the wattage of the lights, and how you will mount the lights. You can find lights at online retailers and your local marine supply store. Make sure to maintain the lights and make sure they are turned on before you head out on the water.
What are the key factors to consider when choosing lights for a Jon Boat?
When choosing lights for a Jon boat, you should consider factors like durability, brightness, energy efficiency, ease of installation, and compliance with regulations. It’s also important to consider the type of light, such as navigation lights, deck lights, or spotlights, as each serves a different purpose.
How often do Jon Boat lights need to be replaced?
The lifespan of Jon Boat lights largely depends on the type of lights you’re using and how frequently you use your boat. LED lights, for instance, can last for many years, even with frequent use.
Are all Jon Boat lights waterproof?
Not all boat lights are waterproof, but given that they’re for use on a boat, most should at least be water-resistant to some extent. It’s crucial to check the product specifications before purchase.